Happy 150th Birthday West Virginia!
Happy Birthday West Virginia! What does the state flag look like and what is the meaning behind each color and detail.
June 20th, 2013 makes the 150 birthday of West Virgina. The state was admitted to the Union on June 20th, 1863. What does their state flag look like and why? Every inch of the flag symbolizes something very important to the state, including the white and blue colors.
A white flag with a dark blue boarder, West Virginia proudly flies their coat of arms symbolizing the state’s principle pursuits and resources. They prominently display the state motto, “ Montani Semper Liberi” (mountaineers are always free) with a miner and a farmer standing opposite each other with a rock between them bearing the date West Virginia became a state. This current flag was adopted in 1929, 63 years after their admittance into the Union in 1863.
Fun Facts about West Virginia:
- West Virginia was named after Queen Elizabeth I since se was known as the Virgin Queen.
- This state has the oldest population with a median age of 40.
- In 1960 Danny Heater scored 135 points in a high school basketball game, which earned him a spot in the Guinness Book of World Records.
- A variety of Golden Delicious apples originated here where the original Golden Apple Tree was discovered in 1775.
- Outdoor advertising began in West Virginia when Block Brothers Tobacco Company painted bridges with their slogans.
- The world’s largest shipment of matches (210,000,000 matches) was shipped from West Virginia to Tennessee in 1933.
- The first brick street was laid in Charleston, West Virginia.